Council services

Allotments, bins and bus passes


To get on the allotment waiting list, find out locations and prices, please click here. 


Rubbish bin or recycling not collected

To report a missed bin collection, click here


To get a bin for garden waste

This service costs £70 per year. To sign up, click here


Bus pass

You can apply for a free bus pass from the age of 67. Click here to apply


To apply for a disabled persons bus pass, click here



Death, Debt advice , benefits and environmental health

Registering a death
A step-by-step guide, including details of reporting it to the NHS and DWP. Click here.

Find a cemetery or crematorium, including how to erect a memorial.
Click here.

Debt advice
Money Advice Plus is a registered charity, based in Hove, helping and supporting people experiencing difficulty managing their money or financial affairs. Click here

Benefits, including housing and Council tax
Click here for info and contact phone numbers

Had a dodgy takeaway or out of date food from the supermarket?
Get advice and how to report it by clicking here.

Food banks, housing and jobs

Food banks
Food bank at Portslade Town Hall every Friday from 11am to 2pm. Referral required. Click here for details.

Brightstore. Church of the Good Shepherd, Mile Oak. A two-tier membership scheme based on household size and a ‘pay what you can afford’ principle, which provides a weekly shop of quality fresh fruit and vegetables, eggs, bread and other key essentials. Click here for details

Apply for Council housing 
You need to join the housing register before you can view and apply to move into available council or housing association properties. Click here

Advice for those renting privately
This includes contracts, obligations of your landlord , health and safety, deposits, repairs and evictions. Click here

Request repairs to your Council home.
Click here for the on-line form or emergency number

Apprenticeships (for all ages)
Click here for apprenticeships and pre-employment opportunities in Brighton & Hove

Training and support
If you’re over 16 years old, you can find courses, apprenticeships and free support to get qualifications and find work. Click here. 

Libraries, marriage, noisy neighbours and offensive graffiti. 

Portslade library
Opening times, how to join and facilities. Click here

Marriage - venues and booking
Plan your wedding or civil partnership. Find out where you can get married, give notice and what happens on the day. Click here

Get married at Brighton Town Hall. Click here. 

Noisy neighbours? 
Find out what noise complaints the Council can deal with, what action they can take and how to take your own action. Click here

 Graffiti reporting and removal 
Click here for reporting and advice, including on private property

Using the parking app and paying on-line 

Phone number or link to the app. Click here


Report illegal parking

Includes phone number for emergency problems, or an online form for general nuisance parking. Click here for details


Apply for a disabled parking badge (Blue Badge) 

Criteria and documentation you will need. Click here


Planning - Do i need permission and its cost? 

Click here for full details


Find a planning and app and make comment about it

Click here to view all planning apps across the city (inc your neighbours!)




Report a pothole, damaged pavements or loose manhole covers. Click here



Parking, planning, and potholes


Street lights not working
Click here for on-line form or phone number

Social Care for adults 
How to get equipment, products and devices to help with everyday tasks like washing and dressing. Click here 

Carelink alarm and tele services. Click here 

Paying for your care home or residential fees. Click here. 

Apply for care and support to improve your daily life. Click here 

Voting in local and national elections.
To register to vote or to notify any changes, click here

Youth services
A range of services offered by BHCC. Click here

Youth advice centre
The Youth Advice Centre (YAC) offers advice, support and guidance to young people in Brighton and Hove. YAC workers are able to offer expertise in a wide range of areas. Our aim is to provide young people in the local area with a safe and friendly environment where they can access helpful advice and support.. Click here for details

Street lights, social care, voting, and youth services

We need your consent to load the translations

We use a third-party service to translate the website content that may collect data about your activity. Please review the details and accept the service to view the translations.